Source: University City Public Library Archives
This photograph, dated September 28, 1909, appeared in "The Woman's National Daily" on October 21, 1909 as part of a series titled "Views in University City." The caption read "Forsyth Boulevard, a part of the great belt boulevard being constructed to run entirely around University City, five miles in length. The buildings of Washington University are shown in the foreground." The planned completion of the five mile circle never took place. Today, Forsyth Boulevard begins at Skinker Road just east of the St. Louis City limit and runs west into Clayton.